#1 Pirate Place
Building Open to Students 8:00 am
Student Instructional Day 8:15 a.m. to 3:00 pm
Charlestown High School students can best meet their needs and goals when all members of the school community are committed to establishing a consistent framework of communication, varied teaching strategies, appropriate curriculum, teamwork, collaboration, offerings in the latest technology, and recognizing the importance of fair-play and self- motivation in the development of individual life skills.
Foundations of our Bridge
Foundations of our Bridge
- All students can learn, grow, and develop.
- Communication is most effective when it includes on-going interaction among all members of the school community.
- The school community best supports students when quality teamwork, collegiality, and collaboration are utilized in working relationships.
- A safe and orderly school climate is best developed when there is a consistent and fair approach to discipline and expectations of behavior.
- Basic, fundamental competencies in life skills and communication technologies are essential ingredients for student success in all postsecondary life choices.
- Teachers can best assist student learning, growth, and development when they provide quality instruction that includes a diverse array of motivating, creative, and varied teaching strategies that reach all learning styles.
Charlestown High School (CHS) houses grades nine through twelve and has an enrollment of approximately 725 students. The mission of CHS is to academically challenge students, for students to enjoy varied learning opportunities, maintain character growth, and develop strategic skills that will enable them to become real world problem solvers. The CHS staff believes that true learning comes from active exploration, interaction, and discovery and not from a passive transfer of knowledge. They also believe that true teaching focuses on the needs of the learner, and they value child-centered curriculum and experiential learning.
CHS staff believes the future of a student’s success is through technology and course rigor, and they strive to stay ahead of that curve. CHS recently completed a 41 million dollar renovation project. The renovation enables CHS to offer state-of–the-art science labs, interactive whiteboards, ceiling mounted LCD units, and wireless internet throughout the building.
CHS is small enough to give students a personal touch, yet large enough to offer a demanding curriculum that includes Advanced Placement (AP) Courses in Chemistry, Physics, Government, Economics, English, Biology, History, and Calculus. Our partnership with Ivy Tech allows us to offer over 60 Dual Credits at no charge to students. CHS is one of the only Project Lead the Way (PLTW), a nationally recognized pre-engineering program, sites in Southern Indiana, with pathways in Engineering and Biomedical Science. CHS also boasts 19 varsity sports, an award-winning choir, a marching band, and an excellent theatre department.
Newly renovated building with SmartBoard technology and Wireless Internet throughout the building
Newly renovated Athletic Facilities
District one-to-one computer initiative – Samsung Chromebook for every student
Transfer General Education Certificate from Ivy Tech
Associate Degree option from Ivy Tech
89 percent Graduation Rate
Positive Behavior Support Program
Technology Industry Certifications in IC3 and MOS
Automotive Technology Center
Pre-Engineering PLTW program
15 Honors Courses, and 7 AP Courses
Over 200 students receiving College Dual Credits in 2013
Over $1.5 Million Awarded to Seniors in Scholarship offers